Sunday, November 13, 2011

My first group "run"

Yesterday was a big day for this slow fat triathlete.  It started with a team meeting where we had an orientation, received our official training schedule and then went for our first team run.  I knew that I was in trouble during the orientation when everyone went around an introduced themselves.  Among the group were Ironman competitors, half Ironman competitors and people who have done dozens of triathlons and marathons before.  In fact, I was one of only two people in the room who has never done a triathlon, the other being a twenty-something girl who has done other endurance events and just wanted to challenge herself with something new.    
Then was the run…We all went outside, put our stuff in our cars, met up and began running.  I started in the first half of the group, but was dead last by the time we left the parking lot, and far behind shortly after we hit the road.  My right leg could have kept going all day, but my lungs and my left leg had another idea in mind.  I’ve got to keep up with the shin splint stretches.  I kept on going and kept on watching the rest of the group get further and further ahead of me.  At one point they were so far ahead I could not see them at all.  In about fifteen minutes they turned around and headed back.  I waited for them to catch up with me “running” in the other direction before I turned around.  For one split second I was in front of the pack.  They all encouraged me and cheered me on as they passed.  I was very grateful for that.  I ran in with the last two of them.  Back at the parking lot I was given tips and more encouragement.  The coach says that if I stick to the training schedule I would have no trouble finishing the run.  The training schedule is my new bible. 
Tuesday is the first group swim.  I am hoping to redeem myself then!  Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment