Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sometimes training just doesn’t go the way you planned……


Last Saturday I volunteered at the LLS water stop for a Century ride to Montauk.  I knew that it would cut into my training hours, but it was for the team so I decided to help.   I had it all planned out.  I would just move my Saturday training to Sunday and my Sunday training to Monday.  Monday is supposed to be a day off so it would even up in the end. 

Well, on Sunday I had planned to take my grandmother to church at 9:30 and do the workouts after that.  At about 8:30 my grandmother asked to go the noon mass.  I couldn’t say no.  So I figured that I would get a run in before, take a shower, go to church, come home and get a swim in.  After church my grandmother asked me to take her to the supermarket. 

Now I don’t know if you readers have an Italian grandmother, but if you do you will know how important food is.  On Sunday morning, before I took her anywhere, Napoleon’s Army could have showed up on her door step asking to be fed.  I guarantee that she would have had enough food in the house to feed them a seven course meal.  She would have apologized throughout the entire meal because it was so small and puny, and if she only knew that they were coming then she could have made a real supper.  Now, during this seven course meal, if the apocalypse should happen to occur, and the army was forced to bunker down in my grandmother’s house for several weeks, they would continue to be well fed, and would emerge from her home fatter than they arrived.  My grandmother, of course,  was convinced that her cupboards were bare.  How do I refuse a little 93 year old lady a trip to the supermarket?  I knew that it would take several (no I am not kidding) hours, but it meant so much to her.  I could get in a swim when we get home.

Who should we run into at the market?  my uncle and his posse.  They invited us to his house for a late afternoon party.  Well, what’s one missed workout?

I’ll wake up early Monday morning, get a run in, go to the doctor for my blood test, and go to the gym after that.  I’ll just have to miss the swim.  I woke up early all rearing to go and was just about to make a pre-workout breakfast when I realized that I am not supposed to eat before a blood test.  I won’t workout on an empty stomach, so I went back to the bed and waited for my doctor’s appointment.  I got up, got dressed, grabbed my packed gym bag, went to the doctor then straight to the gym.  When I got there I grabbed my workout top, put it on, reached in, grabbed another workout top and realized that I had no workout pants.  I got back into my street clothes and went shopping. 

Hopefully I’ll get back on tract today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment