Tuesday, January 15, 2013

On the road again……..


I've taken a hiatus for the last couple of weeks after the doctor told me to lay off exercise.  Eight or so years ago I herniated a disc in my back.  It’s never been quite right since.  It always bothers me a little, but most days it is like background noise.  I am used to it and I barely notice it.   Sometime between Christmas and New Year’s it started to bother me a lot.  By New Year’s Eve I was walking with a limp.  I had to cancel my plans and go see the doctor.  I told him that I was training for a triathlon and I was hoping that he would say “good!  Exercise is just the thing that you need.”  But he told me that I could swim.  He hesitated about the biking and told me flat out to not run.  I asked if I could do the elliptical in lieu of the run.  His answer was: “You know what, just stay off the exercise for a while.”  I was going bat crazy and becoming lazy, neither of which is good.   The doctor gave me a week’s worth of meds and told me to contact him if it still bothered me in a week.  It did, but not as bad.  I spent the next week playing phone tag with the doctor and have now given up getting a hold of him.  Unable to get his permission I've diagnosed myself ready to go back to the gym, and I was SO HAPPY to be back there this morning.  Still got to get my back better though.

No comments:

Post a Comment