Friday, December 9, 2011

A minor problem and a major problem

The minor problem is my stomach.  I am having trouble figuring out what to eat for breakfast that will consistently feel good in my stomach while I am exercising.  I started with a protein shake.  It was great one morning.  The next time I tried it it sat in my stomach like a cold wet rock.  I tried it one more time, but not cold.  It made me nauseous.  I moved on to Power Bar energy chews.  They were great on Wednesday, but not this morning and they have no protein.  Bread seems to work, but it also has no protein.  You athletes out there, what do you use?  Any suggestions?

The major problem is the shin splints.  I am STILL not over them.  I cannot run more that three miles per hour without feeling enormous pain.  Three miles per hour is not a challenge and does not even raise my heart rate.  This morning I was whining and crying on the treadmill, but could not go any faster.  I never last more than fifteen minutes on the treadmill.  I always give up and move onto the elliptical.  Apparently shin splints is not a pain that you can or should work through.  The elliptical gets my heart rate up and works the same muscles as running without any painful pounding, but I cannot use the elliptical during the race.  I am so worried that I will never beyond this.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura, when I used to run while living in Port Washington, my boss who was a marathon runner and got us all involved in running for the Corporate Challenge used to bring Bagels and Bananas for race day. We would eat the protein after the race. If you must have proteins before you start a bit of peanut butter might help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lior,
    Thank you so much for the advice. I have actually been stopping every triathlete that I know and have been asking them "what do you eat for breakfast". It's kind of comical. I stop people at the pool, before spin class and at the gym. The prevailing answer seems to be peanut butter sandwiches. You give good advice! and now I am stocking up on peanutbutter.

    ReplyDelete