Friday, December 23, 2011

Why am I doing this again?

 The triathlon that I am training for will be fun (hopefully) and exciting (either for the good or the bad) event, but mostly it is a fundraiser for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society.  In exchange for coaching, information and motivation I must raise over $3,500 for the Society.  Why am I doing this again?

Before a bike ride couple of weeks ago my Team in Training Mentor, Howard shared his story with our team.  Howard is a self proclaimed non athlete.  He has told me “I am not built for speed, I like to say.  Rather, I am built for comfort and working in IT.”  He clams that he runs like a penguin, (I do too) and can run a marathon in the time it takes some people to run two. So why do you think a guy like that would become a triathlon participant, much less a mentor? 

That morning Howard thanked us for raising money with Team in Training and thanked all who have participated in the past.  He told us that he joined the team to give back to those who have given to him.  That particular day was the tenth anniversary day of Howard’s diagnosis with Leukemia.  On the day of his diagnosis Howard had a three year old daughter and his wife was pregnant with their second child.  He was expected to live two years.  His daughter would be in Kindergarten then.  I can only imagine how devastating that diagnosis was to Howard’s young family.  A new drug saved Howard’s life.  His cancer is now “stable”, and he was spared the terrible pain and ordeal of a bone marrow transplant.  This drug was developed using funds raised by the Leukemia Lymphoma Society with the help of Team in Training. 

So, when I am whining or complaining that I have to get up at 7am for a team swim or that my legs are sore from an especially difficult spin class I stop myself and remember the reason I am doing this.  Howard’s story even puts shin splints into perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment