Wednesday, January 4, 2012

just keep swimming...just keep swimming...

I want to give a shout out to my swimming coaches! 

When I first met my swim coaches the head honcho, Joe, asked me about my swim experience.  I very proudly informed him that I was the most valuable member of my swim team.  Then I had to admit that I was eight years old at the time and have not improved since. 

In this quest to be a triathlete swimming was the one thing that I thought I had down pat, the mechanics of it at least.  I knew that I still had to work on my fitness level.  Well, as you may have read in one of my previous blogs I was wrong (about the mechanics, not about the fitness level).  At the beginning of the season I could get from one end of the pool to the other, no problem.  Doing it often took some effort.  Doing it often and fast exhausted me.  I have enough working against me.  During my triathlon I have no desire to come out of the water exhausted and still have two thirds of the event left to complete.    

I am so fortunate to be working with super, fabulous, patient and fun swim coaches, who also happen to be great instructors.  Every Tuesday night, they stand at the edge of the pool watching my stroke, my head position, my body position and my breathing.  Then they give me drills or tips to make my swimming more efficient.   Everything they say to me improves my stroke and makes moving from one end of the pool to the other easier.  When I am swimming alone I feel like I am actually gliding through the water with little or no effort at all.  I am still the slowest swimmer on the team, much of which has to do with my fitness level, but Thanks to Joe, Damian, Nick and Tom I am getting better every day.  Tuesday swim is now my favorite part of the week.   I just with that I could keep them with me for all of my other workouts.    

No comments:

Post a Comment