Sunday, October 16, 2011

MY 2 HOUR 20 MINUTE RUN

No, I cannot honestly report that I ran for 2 hours AND 20 minutes.  I can report that what should have been a 20 minute run took 2 hours from start to finish.  I was all set to go.  I had my new running sneakers, the ones that look like orthotics.  I had my new running shirt on and my new heart rate monitor.  I was all revved up and ready to go.  I drove to the local school, so that I can run on their soccer fields.  Somewhere I read that new runners should not start on pavement.  Being new at the slow, fat triathlete thing I wanted to do everything by the book.  I got out of the car, all ready to run, and there was a game on each field.  That’s OK, you say, there’s enough of a shoulder just around the perimeter of the field.  You can run there.  No…I just could not bear the thought of running around the soccer field, with all the soccer moms watching me, and just happening to notice that their eight year daughters are faster than I am.  So I drove to another school, more soccer games, and another school, more soccer games.  Heck!  Is there anyone in the town of Northport that is NOT at a soccer game?  This won’t discourage me.  I got back in the car and drove to the nearest state park.  I got out of the car, tightened my shoe laces, figured out all of the fancy settings of my new heart rate monitor and started my run.  UGH!  My pants started falling down.  It’s not really a problem is it?  I really wanted to start my run so I kept going unfortunately, so did my pants.  They got lower and lower with every step.  I am not going to stop.  I’ll just pull them up.  I did, over and over again.  I’ll keep going.  I’ll just hold my pants up as I run.  UGH!  Who was I kidding?  I can’t run this way.  Back in the car, back home.  Maybe I just want to give up for the day.  I can’t say that I didn’t try.  OH NO!  Did I post on my blog that I would go for a run on Sunday?  I did, and now I have to.  Change of pants, a ride by the local school, just in case.  Soccer.  How long do these soccer games last anyway?  The state park is just too far to drive to again. Turn around and drive over to the local hiking trails.  After that my first run was almost uneventful.  It wasn’t easy, but I managed with only one slight ankle twist.  I’ll try running again on Thursday.  Tuesday Swimming, Wednesday biking. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh come on! Ignore them! I have seen some people in my neighborhood that run and thought to myself, dang that guy should lay off the nachos> Then I though, I am in a freaking car doing nothing, and this slow fat guy is actually running. Kudo to the runner, I am the lazy arse. So forget the little girls playing, or the moms who only activity is finding a parking spot and yapping. Like their moms, they to will end up siting on the sideline. You Laura are not a side liner! You are a doer, an achiever and you have a goal. So put your fear aside, get those shoes on, stretch out, and run like a gentle breeze :) Heck, walk if you can't run, but get out the car. Because the only thing burning while you look for an empty field is gas and time. Be a motivation so one days one of those little soccer player will find your blog, and say, WOW, she did it!!! You can, you will and there is BBQ in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and in the end you managed to keep your pants on and do a run. CONGRATS, your body might hate you now, but you will love it later :)

    ReplyDelete