Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Run


The MOMENT I got off of my bicycle I knew that I was in trouble.  My legs were CRAMPED, so cramped and so tight.  This has happened to me in the past (but never nearly this bad).  I was told that cramping is often due to a lack of hydration and/or critical nutrients.  Well, I did my best to prepare for this.  I had, on the bike, a Camel Back hydration system and two water bottles all filled with water PLUS tablets containing electrolytes etc. These tablets are made for endurance athletes and should have done the trick.  I drank it all.  I also had one or two GUs and some Power Bar gummies.  Other athletes will know what I mean by GUs and gummies.  If you don’t, just take my word for it, it’s what you are supposed to have – concentrated nutrition. 

Well, it didn’t do the job.  My legs HURT.  I took off my bike shoes and put the running shoes on.  Then I attempted to run.  I saw a TEAMmate just a few yards away from me and wanted to catch up with her.  I was very optimistic.  There was NO WAY I could run.  Maybe I just had to walk the kinks out.  I figured that I could walk the kinks out and then start running.  I HAD EXCRUCIATING PAIN WITH EACH AND EVERY STEP.  Each step was a brand new torture, but I didn’t consider stopping.  I did, however, consider crawling.  My only consolation was that my TEAMmate was walking in front of me not gaining any headway.  It felt good to know that wasn’t the only one walking.  

When I got to the first aid station I asked the volunteers how far I had gone.  They said a mile.  You would think that it would have felt like more than a mile to me, but for some reason it felt like less.  That gave me great hope.  If I could do this for one mile I could do it for six point two.  It wouldn't be fun, but I could do it.  At the station I had half a banana, Gatorade, a salt tablet and some bags of water.  You read me right.  They had these cool bags of water, about the size and shape of a soda can.  You just bite the corner of them and squeeze the water into your mouth, or over your head.  The cool part about them is that you can take them with you, unlike a paper cup of water.  Well nourished and hydrated, I tried running again, but I was just kidding myself. 

Soon after that we got off the road and onto a greenbelt trail.  I loved it.  It went through a park with fields, streams, and wild flowers.  What a pretty course!  The next aid station was manned by Team In Training.  I was so happy to see the purple.  I had some similar food and nutrition and picked up a purple grass skirt from a volunteer at the booth (I can only assume the relative of a TNT participant).  I wore the skirt and continued on my way. 

Another aid station, this one with an actual bathroom!  (a luxury for endurance athletes) It had running water, toilet paper and everything.  (It takes so little to please me.)  I just had to be careful of my purple skirt while in there.  Don’t worry.  I was.  More salt, more Gatorade and more water and I continued on my way. 

When we hit the three mile mark (or so) we had to turn around and go back the way that we came.  At that point I began to see some of my TEAMmates that were doing the Half Ironman.  We cheered each other on, they commented on my skirt, but we never stopped.  I was walking and they were running.  It was then that I noticed that my legs didn’t hurt as much anymore.  I attempted to run and nothing terrible happened.  I ran for a little bit but then decided that it was hot, I was tired, and my time was shot anyway so I should just walk and enjoy the day.

When I passed the TNT booth I returned my purple skirt, chatted a little with the volunteers and refueled.  Afterwards I felt plain and boring without my purple skirt so I picked a flower, put it in my hair, and continued on my way.   You should have seen the look of defeat of my coach when he asked me where I got the flower and I told him that I picked it.  I guess that he trained me to be a triathlete, but didn’t train me to be competitive. 

At this point my toes were beginning to hurt, not cramping, but blistering from rubbing the against my socks.  I swear I could feel every fiber in the weave of my socks.  This was not fun.  Trust me!  I’ve tried about six different brands of socks during my training and ended up throwing the others out.  These were the only ones that didn’t bunch up on me.  Next time I will coat my toes with Vaseline to avoid the friction. 

If the first mile of the run was short the last one was excruciatingly long.  I passed many, many, many volunteers handing out water and directing traffic.  I would like to thank them.  They cheered me on as if I was the only reason they were there that day.  I was hot and tired and my toes really burned.  Their cheerful attitude was a real pick-me up at that time.  That, and the promise of beer, kept me going.  We passed the transition area and had about a half (though some people said it was a full) mile to the finish line. 

On this stretch I passed other athletes, with their medal and finishers shirt, going in the opposite direction.  They had finished the race and were walking back to pick up their bikes.  They cheered me on as well.  Many of them told me to “finish strong” not knowing that I was not walking out of sheer exhaustion, but that I had been walking the entire way.  I passed my coach, went up to the World’s Fair Park, across the street and into the runway. (Is that what they call that final stretch of a race?) past the TNT booth, there’s Rich cheering me on, and to the finish line.  I heard my name and home town announced over the loud speakers just as crossed.  I stopped, posed for the camera and went to receive my medal!

The guy handing out the medals heard that I was from Northport, NY and had a dozen questions for me.  Was Northport on Long Island?  Do I know where Kew Gardens is?  Am I far from Valley Stream?  I just wanted to grab the medal and knock him down, but I got it eventually. 



I am finished.  Strange I don’t feel any different. 

Just minutes later I was congratulated by a couple of my TEAMmates.  They wanted to know how I felt.  I wanted to know where the beer was.  THERE WAS NO BEER!  I want my money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment